Friday, June 10, 2011

Civilization vs. Isolation: Comparing Experiences in Alaska

I keep comparing this experience in Alaska with my time here in 2004. That's not really a fair thing to do since the state is so large, and I'm a completely different area, with a different climate and landscape, but I can't help myself. In 2004 I was near Fairbanks, in the interior of the state. There it was hot (80s), low elevation, a lot of forests, animals, and mosquitoes. Here, I'm in the mountains, in the tundra above the tree line. Maybe once the flowers start to bloom and things turn green, I will change my mind, but I prefer the forests and lower elevations. It has been very cold, cloudy, and desolate up in the mountains.

Also in 2004, it was such an adventure--complete isolation in the forests, no running water or electricity; 45 minutes from anything; moose, bears, lynx, beavers. The crew up there was also very wild, which added to the drama. Here, though its isolated in the mountains, we are only 15 miles from Alaska's fastest growing region: the Mat-Su Valley (home to the towns Palmer and Wasilla). With the convenience of stores, internet, etc. it doesn't feel that different from the rest of the US. As for wildlife, I've only seen marmots, ground squirrels, and one moose. Also, the volunteers who I'm living with are a lot more laid back and responsible--less exciting, though I guess that's a good thing.

All in all, I have to embrace this unique experience (and the constant cold), instead of comparing it to my previous time in Alaska. Just because this is the part of the state with people in it, doesn't mean its not Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment