Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hockey Moms and the Tea Party


Wasilla, one of the nearest towns, is the home of former VP candidate and part-time governor Sarah Palin. As a previous mayor and someone with an 8th grade writing level, she is very popular here. But seriously, this area is a tea party stronghold. I have never seen so many “Impeach Obama” signs, whether in people’s front yards or people holding them at street corners (photo enclosed). I would like to take pictures of this (or better pictures), but since my only means of transportation is a van with state markings on it, I’m afraid of the response I will get. Can you image someone in a state vehicle taking photos of anti-Obama signs/protesters? They are already anti-government, they might think I would report them to some fictional conspiratorial government group.

Related to this, during our training, the state park staff told us to be careful how we act in public, especially when driving the state vehicles or wearing state park outfits. It’s not unheard of for volunteers at state historic sites to take the brunt of tea party anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment